Thursday, January 6, 2011

First thoughts

Alright, so this is my first true blog. I've done a few blogs for other classes, but those were limited to fellow students. In other words, this isn't really a medium I'm familiar with. But here goes...

I just started a Teacher and Technology course. I have been looking forward to getting new ideas and having a reason to experiment with various technologies. I'm sure most people know what it's like to have an ever growing list of thinks they would like to do, if they could only get around to it. I'm the same way, so I'm hoping this class will give me a chance to cover a few things on this list. One thing I'd like to try is an idea board from prezi.com. This could be used instead of a power point presentation, but I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how easy it will be to use. I hope to find out soon.

The thing that I've really liked about class so far is how various art forms have been drawn in and used. As a Music and English teacher candidate, I believe that art can be used in all areas. Our first class started with a short film called Opening Speech by Norman McLaren. When I teach I occasionally like to use a video or poem, or other artistic text for the same reason I felt Opening Speech worked. Starting class with something entertaining, and especially something that changes medium like a video, captures the students' attention. This can help the class start from a point of more focus and attention that will hopefully set the tone for the rest of the period and the rest of the course.

The video chosen also worked very well on many levels. Its purpose and text was "Welcome," it was an example of technology in a Technology course (and old technology at that), and it uses technology as a focus and message. One thing we didn't address in class was that the message of welcome was in many different languages. This is appropriate given the fact that it was the welcome to an international film festival, but also is appropriate given our Canadian mosaic. It was a nice touch considering how often this aspect is brought up in connection with education. I look forward to seeing what other artistic text will be brought into class.

2 comments:

  1. Hiya Jen :)

    Tamara and I both used Prezi to do presentations last course. It's super easy. Like click and drag easy. There are three levels of membership available, and by signing up as a University Student you can get the second tier for free (rather than paying). This level has the option to save your presentation offline! (a huge bonus, especially since the Faculty of Education doesn't have wireless yet).

    ta ta for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touche on the prezi-ness. I remember I saw it first a few years ago. It's very useful!

    ReplyDelete