Saturday, February 5, 2011

Why Am I Just Finding This Resource Now?

This past week has made me reflect on the fact that technology is only good if we know about it and know how to use it. In class, we were introduced to RefWorks. I knew there were some programs out there that would help you format your references and even your paper, but I didn’t know they were incorporated into some of the databases I already use. And they are simple to use.

I just wish this has been explained in my first year of university rather than in the second term of my fifth year. For the past four and a half years, I have been using OWL (Online Writing Lab) at Perdue. I have found this resource extremely valuable and would recommend it to anyone who has not already head of it. But I have often had to figure out how to apply what I found to the paper I was trying to write. This has been good experience and I feel like I have a decent grasp of both MLA and APA formats. But life would have been so much simpler if I knew that with the click of a button I could have RefWorks save my research for me and compile a Reference list. Oh, and did I mention that it could be used to add in text citations? Or that it could format a paper for me? Granted, I have not tried this last feature, so I don’t know how well it works yet.

In using RefWorks, I can’t be certain that all the formatting is perfect. I will have to check it, so I guess that’s where my knowledge gained on Purdue’s OWL comes in. And RefWorks is not offered on all databases. But it should save time and hassle, which makes it worthwhile. If only someone had taught me to use it in first year.

If you would like to learn more about RefWorks, here is the Tutorial.
Now it' your turn. My challenge to you is this: Pass on those resources and technologies that have made your life a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment